Looking for the fountain of youth?
There certainly are two sides to every coin and this is true for the aging process. Some look the exact same today as they did 20 years ago, you know the type. Think Dick Clark or Will Smith (makes me wonder, did they find the fountain of youth?) They just always look fabulous. Then there are some who looked much older than their true chronological age.
I simply do not have the heart to call anyone out because it is just too sad. I would rather focus on the positives. I want to look maybe five or ten years younger if I can for as long as I can. It makes my day when people who don’t know me refer to me as my granddaughters’ mother.
Really makes my day. Who am I kidding? It makes my whole week.
Finding the fountain of youth
I found the fountain of youth when I committed to strength training.You might be asking yourself how does this help with the aging process? Let me count the ways:
- Increased muscle strength makes everyday chores easier. (This one is number one for obvious reasons).
- Strong muscles burn fat. If the stove is your body, the burners are your muscles and when they heat up (firm up/get stronger)they are super efficient at burning fat and sugar for fuel.
- When you feel strong, you are more likely to catch yourself before you fall should you trip over shoes left in the middle of the kitchen. My son leaves his shoes out all the time.
- Muscles don’t just look good on men, they can make a woman’s body shapelier and curvier without bulking up. (Unless you want to be muscularly defined then that’s another blog post entirely.)
- Strength training improves bone density, preventing them from breaks from falls and will go a long way to prevent osteoporosis.
- I believe in my heart that the boost in attitude, mood, and self-confidence is the icing on the cake when it comes to strength training.
- Last but not least, sex drive is revved up. I must say it’s just delightful to feel sexy.
Let me introduce you to a woman who has become someone I want to emulate, Her name is Ernestine Shepherd. She is a female bodybuilder at age80!!! She’s just amazing.
Finding the Fountain Location
If you decide to go to a gym, visit a few and see what setting appeals to you. Some have pools, juice bars, and free coffee, personal trainers on staff and a variety of other amenities you can choose from. You may prefer to begin at home, you absolutely can do just that. There is so much information available that you can create a beginning routine that would be great for you. Remeber fitness is a journey There are a lot of bodyweight exercises you can do that require no weights at all. Read more here at Livestrong.com
Bring a friend along on the journey to the fountain of youth
I don’t want to wear you out with studies and statistics about how
resistance training is paramount to anti-aging but you should know that the University of New Mexico completed a comprehensive study over a period of 26 weeks complete with muscle biopsies concluding that
yes, Resistance Training can reverse the Aging Process. Feel free to read about the entire process of this study. I found it quite interesting.
I hope you found this post insightful, please feel free to share it with your friends.
You should know that this post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click on or purchase one of the products links I”ll receive some compensation which will support my addiction to all things coffee.
I’m Karen with Embracing Aging
Reminding you to Embrace Your Age
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.