Critical Vitamins You Need Now!!
In this post Critical Vitamins You Need Now, I share with you the vitamins you need today and why you need them for vitality. Run don’t walk to your nearest pharmacy to stock up on these Critical Vitamins You Need Now.
First up to bat is vitamin A
Vitamin A plays an important role in healthy night vision. This year I started to notice that I was having trouble seeing well after dark. Naturally, I was especially concerned with how unsafe I felt driving. Researching vitamin A for this blog post helped me realize It’s likely a vitamin A deficiency.
Why would I think this is the case? Well, I had gastric bypass surgery in 2007. Therefore I do not absorb vitamins and minerals the same way I did before I had the surgery. Sure, I thought I was doing a good job supplementing my vitamins and minerals, however, I’m realizing now that I have some holes to fill in my vitamin therapy routine.
When you eat vitamin A from vegetables, a.k.a. provitamin A, primarily beta-carotene. Your body has to convert vitamin A to a usable form. When you consume vitamin A from organ meats and fish it is absorbed by the body and is better utilized for good health.
Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin. This is to say when you eat carrots, put some grass-fed butter on them and the vitamin is better absorbed.
Because it’s good for your brain, heart, skin, kidneys, and vision. Vitamin A is also known as an anti-aging vitamin.
Next, on the list of Critical Vitamins You Need Now is Vitamin D3
Vitamin A and Vitamin D are bffs. They need each other in a balanced way. If you take a lot of vitamin D and not enough vitamin A then vitamin D can deplete Vitamin A. If you take too much vitamin A and not enough vitamin D you can increase your risk of vitamin A toxicity. So I personally will be taking a good multivitamin that supplements my nutritional intake.
How is vitamin D important to our health? When our skin gets proper exposure to sunlight, Vitamin D is the sunshine vitamin. You should be supplementing your vitamin D. unless you live close to the equator. It helps stabilize mood, protects the heart and fights certain kinds of cancer. It also supports the immune system brain and nervous system. Vitamin D also regulates insulin which helps protect you from diabetes. Children need adequate amounts of vitamin D for healthy growth of bones and teeth.
Since the brain has vitamin D receptors it is understandable how this vitamin is important for memory. Vitamin D may, in fact, help with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Have you ever heard of here after syndrome? You walk into a room and say, “What am I here after???” Happens to me more than it should. LOL!
Let me tell you about my granddaughter and her mood swings. She was out of control. We started her on a vitamin D supplement and we noticed a major improvement in her mood. She was far less irritable and much more even-keeled. She was 8 years old at the time and it was remarkable how much it helped her. Even her teacher commented that she was doing so much better in school.
B complex vitamins make the list of Critical Vitamins You Need Now
- B1 (thiamine):
- B1 prevents beriberi (a disease-causing nerve inflammation and heart failure)
- Thiamine plays an essential role in metabolism by helping convert nutrients into energy. The richest food sources include pork, sunflower seeds and wheat germ (1).
- B2 (riboflavin):
- B2 riboflavin boosts the immune system. You can find it in nuts for a healthy snack.
- Riboflavin helps convert food into energy and also acts as an antioxidant. Foods highest in riboflavin include organ meats, beef, and mushrooms (2).
- B3 (niacin):
- B3 breaks down food into energy. Look for it in beans, peas, and lentils.
- Niacin also plays a role in cellular signaling, metabolism and DNA production and repair. Food sources include chicken, tuna, and lentils (3)
- B5 (pantothenic acid):
- B5 is important for healthy hormones. Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables are an excellent source.
- Pantothenic acid helps your body obtain energy from food and is also involved in hormone and cholesterol production. Liver, fish, yogurt, and avocado are all good sources (4).
The Next Four B vitamins
- B6 (pyridoxine):
- B6 may decrease the risk of heart disease. Bananas are a good source for snacking.
- Pyridoxine is involved in amino acid metabolism, red blood cell production and the creation of neurotransmitters. Foods highest in this vitamin include chickpeas, salmon and potatoes (5).
- B7 (biotin): Biotin is essential for carbohydrate and fat metabolism and regulates gene expression. Yeast, eggs, salmon, cheese, and liver are among the best food sources of biotin (6).
- B9 (folate): Folate is needed for cell growth, amino acid metabolism, the formation of red and white blood cells and proper cell division. It can be found in foods like leafy greens, liver, and beans or in supplements like folic acid (7). Leafy greens, liver, and beans contain folic acid. Also, with the help of folic acid, healthy babies
- B12 (cobalamin): Perhaps the most well-known of all the B vitamins, B12 is vital for neurological function, DNA production, and red blood cell development. B12 is found naturally in animal sources like meats, eggs, seafood and dairy (8).
- Also, it prevents anemia once considered a deadly disease called pernicious anemia. Without it, you can not make enough healthy red blood cells.
Next, on the list of Critical Vitamins You Need Now is vitamin C.
Oh, I know everyone says they know all about it. But I’m going to remind you of its incredible performance as an anti-aging vitamin for skin.
Vitamin C is necessary for the formation of collagen. It’s very beneficial to skin when taken internally and applied externally as a serum. I personally had the best results when I took 2000 mg a day for the benefit of my skin. Vitamin C is a very potent antioxidant. These conditions may be improved when taking vitamin C.
- cardiovascular disease
- high blood pressure
- Parkinson’s disease
- urinary tract infections
As a reminder to my readers, always check with your Primary Care Physician should you decide to implement any vitamin therapy for any particular condition.
Also on the list of Critical Vitamins You Need Now is CoQ10 and Ubiquinol.
Essentially, ubiquinol CoQ10 is a vitamin-like substance. Made naturally in our bodies and plays a critical role in the creation of cellular energy. We make less of the heart-healthy nutrient starting around age 30. (1)
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a fat-soluble, vitamin-like substance necessary for energy production in virtually every cell in the human body. An antioxidant, it also helps protect against cellular damage from free radicals. The body naturally produces CoQ10 in its oxidized form (ubiquinone) and its reduced form (ubiquinol). When your body levels of CoQ10/ubiquinol decline below a certain level, so does your health. (2)
It is a powerful antioxidant that helps to control the harmful effects of free radicals and oxidative stress, which is directly related to the aging process.
A Ubiquitous Conclusion
The word ubiquitous means “existing everywhere.” Ubiquinol is a molecule that plays important energy and antioxidant role in every cell in our body. Furthermore, I want to stress that aging, heart disease, blood pressure, and oral health challenges still require that you eat healthily, exercise, and work on lowering stress. Finally, No one supplement by itself can cure these challenging conditions. But for great support to help your body energize and balance against damage, ubiquinol can be a healing and solid part of your supplemental regimen. (3)
Finally, I’d like to introduce you to Pycnogenol a bonus to the list of Critical Vitamins You Need Now.
Viva Labs Pycnogenol is sourced from a protected area of pine forest in southwestern France, grown exclusively under strict French forestry legislation for consumer quality and safety. It promises to be preservative and herbicide free.
Pycnogenol and High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure (hypertension) is one of the most important risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Studies on many blood pressure lowering drugs have shown that such treatment reduces the risk of stroke and coronary artery disease.
One small double-blind placebo-controlled study showed that treatment with 200 mg of Pycnogenol daily for 16 weeks reduced blood pressure (8).
Pycnogenol and Diabetes
A double-blind placebo-controlled study found that 100 mg of Pycnogenol daily improved blood sugar among 77 patients with type 2 diabetes (10). Pycnogenol was added to standard diabetic drug treatment.
How Pycnogenol improves blood sugar in type 2 diabetes is not entirely clear. Insulin production does not seem to be increased.
Pycnogenol and Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction (impotence) is a term used to describe the situation when a man can not get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse.
Erectile dysfunction affects 50 percent of men aged 40-70 years in the United States and is considered to be a significant public health problem (15).
Interestingly there appears to be a link between endothelial dysfunction, erectile dysfunction and coronary artery disease (16). In fact, erectile dysfunction may be one of the first indirect signs of coronary artery disease.
Because Pycnogenol can improve endothelial function and increase the availability of NO(nitric oxide), some experts have suggested that this substance may improve erectile dysfunction.
In a study of 21 men, 120 mg/day of Pycnogenol appeared to improve erectile dysfunction (14).
If you would like to know more about this supplement, please click here.
Check with your Dr. or Pharmacist before starting any new vitamin therapy to ensure that it is right for you.
That’s all for today friends.
Finally, this post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on and happen to purchase one of the products links, I’ll receive some compensation which will support my addiction to all things coffee.
I hope you enjoyed this discussion. Please share your thoughts and, feel free to leave your comments and share this post with friends.
I’m Karen with EmbracingAging.us
Reminding you to Embrace Your Age